The Illinois Association of School Administrators is here to help as you transition into your new role as superintendent. This is an exciting and overwhelming time in your life, and IASA will be with you each step of the way.
IASA offers a variety of services, documents and activities to superintendents new to Illinois and new to the superintendency, including, but not limited to:
- A Superintendent Job Transition document, which is mailed to each new superintendent. This document outlines various transition activities that need to occur early in your first year.
- A two-day conference has been scheduled for all new superintendents on August 2-3, 2017, in Springfield. Topics include superintendent/school board relations, school law and administrative regulations, curriculum and instructional requirements, personnel and contract administration, the Freedom of Information Act, the Open Meetings Act, the Gift Ban Act, media training and much more.
A voluntary mentoring program. Each new superintendent can elect to participate in the IASA New Superintendent Mentoring Program. IASA will assign a Field Services Director to mentor the new superintendent. The IASA mentors have extensive, successful experience in the Illinois Superintendent position. The new superintendent will have the opportunity to learn from their mentor as well as fellow new superintendents in your own region. This service is provided to the new superintendent at no cost.
- A weekly newsletter written by Associate Director Dr. Richard Voltz, with articles about topics important to new superintendents.
- A daily calendar that includes tips relevant to the superintendent position and also current research on educational practices.
- Special sessions for new superintendents at the IASA Annual Conference in late September in Springfield.
- Special sessions for new superintendents at the Illinois Association of School Boards/Illinois Association of School Administrators/Illinois Association of School Business Officials Conference in Chicago in November.
- Podcasts and articles geared toward the new superintendent. These may be accessed at the IASA website (www.iasaedu.org).
- A Twitter feed for all superintendents is provided. New superintendents may sign up for a Twitter account at http://twitter.com and then follow IllinoisASA or rvoltz for up-to-date daily information about important topics for educational administrators.
- An administrators’ academy has been developed by the Illinois State Board of Education to help superintendents develop a budget and create budget forecasts. This academy is delivered in various areas around the state in late fall and early winter under the title of “Finance Knowledge for the Superintendent and Understanding for the Learning Community.”
- The Superintendent's Corner is a secure portion of the IASA website in which IASA Active and Retired members can organize communities for discussions based on topics or regions. The communities can be “open” to all members or “closed.” Members can choose to receive email alerts any time information is posted to a particular community if they wish.
We are here to provide you with the information, answers, support and resources to help you succeed!
For more information about these services, please contact:
Dr. Richard J. Voltz
Associate Director/Professional Development
Phone - 217/753-2213
Professional Development Office Assistant
Phone - 217/753-2213
Contact Information for IASA Field Services Directors:
Dr. William "Bill" Phillips, Field Services Director
Northcentral Super Region
2648 Beechler Court
Springfield, Illinois 62703-7305
Phone - 217/753-2213
Fax - 217/753-2240
Cell - 217/572-6408
Dr. Nick Osborne, Field Services Director
Southern Super Region
1200 W. Main Street
Marion, Illinois 62959-1138
Phone - 618/364-0501
Fax - 618/364-0503
Cell - 618/204-1948
Dr. Gary Zabilka, Field Services Director
Northeastern Super Region
800 Woodfield Road, Suite F109
Schaumburg, Illinois 60173-4717
Phone - 847/466-5075
Fax - 847/278-1356
Cell - 847-715-8531